Saturday, December 31, 2005

The new year (and all that)

Well it's New Year's Eve, and that means that a new year will soon be upon us. And that means that resolutions for the new year are being made. And that means that I am annoyed. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people wanting to better themselves, or to have new experiences or outlooks or anything like that. I guess what annoys me about new year resolutions is that, well, is that I make them. I've never been one to make an actual list on a piece of paper, but I do carry around a lot of mental notes. 'In the new year I'm going to do this and this and this, and not do that or that or that, and I'm going to be always happy and never sad'...you get the idea.

I put so much - I guess hope is the word - into the new year, and how everything is going to be a million times better. And this is what annoys me. There is nothing special about tonight. A made up calendar is telling me it's time to go back to writing 'January' instead of 'December' and to put a 6 after the 200 rather than a 5. Wow. Big deal.

Why do I feel so much hope just for this one night? I should feel like this all the time. Every single day should be a time for us to think about how we are going to change our lives and make the World a better place. So, I won't be making any resolutions for the new year. What I will be trying to do is to make a resolution every single day.

3 Comments:

Blogger kay said...

i am very suspicious of holidays.

but anyway, happy new year!

3:33 AM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger pruvaloo said...

And a happy new year to you too!

:)

3:01 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger pruvaloo said...

Solstice would definately make more sense. Summer would be good because you could party long into the night and chances are it will be gorgeous weather. Although winter would be good too, cos a nice party would make the weather less depressing.

Happy new year too mate :)

2:33 PM, January 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home