Saturday, November 26, 2005

Fake, or real?

I think it's amazing how chemicals can affect your body. These different compounds made up of tiny atoms (like there's such a thing as a huge atom) can totally alter your perception of reality. They make you, well, me, question what reality actually is. And whether it actually exists. Like history. That doesn't exist. There is no 'right' version of events. Every single person will view an event from a slightly different place depending on personal views, significance to you, consequence to you, environment, and a whole lot of other variables. If there are six billion+ people on this planet then there are six billion+ histories. Each just as valid and authentic as the other.

It's almost like being a kid again. I was happy without reason. I wasn't looking forward to anything, I hadn't won anything, or achieved anything and I wasn't going to be given anything. I was happy just because. I guess I could say I was happy because I wasn't sad. That's the kind of cause-less feeling I'm talking about that is opened up by these compounds traveling around your blood-stream - be they naturally occurring or put there by us.

The World seems so beautiful. It's so complex - mind-numbingly complex - yet at the same time it is simple. And all the while it's beautiful. You're surrounded by friends, and laughter and all the problems you have are all faded away into obscurity.

Is this perception there all the time and I some how subconsciously control or restrain it, or is it nothing more than an illusion created by chemicals? And is it even an illusion? If we dream, are those dreams real? We know physically that our bodies don't move from the bed, we aren't sucked into the mattress and transported off to where ever we dream about, but does that make them not real? Surely, if you dream, then the ideas those dreams explore, and the emotions that they cause, surely those are real because you 'see' and 'feel' them. Surely then, dreams by definition must be real, even though they don't really exist.

I explore myself under the influence. Are the things that I find real; when you shut your eyes and you just tumble through the vastness of your mind. Feels like riding a rollercoaster with your eyes shut, only the ride never ends. Imagine how immense the universe is, we can almost not conceive the sheer size of it. That's nothing compared to what we each carry inside our heads. The universe has laws that it must obey, laws of nature, or physics etc. I don't think our minds do. Anything and everything and nothing can happen inside your head, and sometimes it's my favourite place to be.

Yup, alcohol makes me think about things sometimes.

3 Comments:

Blogger kay said...

wow, i don't think i have ever thought profound thoughts under the influence of alcohol before!

this makes me think of a line that i read in a book once,

"if you're happy in a dream, does that count?"

2:01 AM, November 27, 2005  
Blogger pruvaloo said...

I think that for many people dreaming is the only time that they are happy, so for that reason alone I hope it does count :)

10:09 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger pruvaloo said...

hahahaha you know me so well ;)

4:26 PM, November 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home