Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Game dev timeline: 7 weeks

Hmm still a bit of confusion about exactly what week my countdown is on. This is definitely, according to the team schedule, week 7 - ie 7 weeks left till completion.

Okay, so now I've (hopefully) sorted that out I can get on with writing about how our meeting went at uni, only wait, oh yeah that's right, we weren't in uni today due to some sort of strike (I don't know the ins and outs of it, just what I've been told through email). This is cool seeing as it means I haven't had a 40 or 50ish mile round trip today. We have however, got a bit of a problem. What happens when you have 7 people spread over a city, while the 8th person is in a completely different county? I'll tell you - scale issues is what happens.

It seems that working on 8 individual home machines, as well as a couple of uni machines, starting out with version 7 of a certain popular 3d package, and changing to version 8 mid-dev can lead to some small (no pun intended) problems. Maybe for example, when a certain hatch model made by a certain p is imported into the game level maybe just maybe it will turn out to be 2km across. You don't need to be a genius to realize that a hatch that is 2km across is ever so slightly too big. 2m, now that's about the right size. Wooo way to go pru.

So tomorrow is nominated 'sorting the scale issue' out day. It's not too bad for me, most of my models are real easy to just scale up or down and re-export. I just hope that Sarah's models (she has produced all the characters bar one) don't need scaling, otherwise that could mean a whole lot of re-rigging. (unless we find some way to scale rigged meshes without f*cking up the animations).

Been making props for the print works the past couple of days, I'll post up some (egotistical) renders maybe tomorrow or Thursday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sig F. Reid said...

whoa! it's been so dang long since i last visited ya! and now that i did, i see your doodle! hehehe...

kewl!

i'll read your previous posts when i have more time.

the doodle remains me of Shaman King. :)

peace yo!

6:58 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger pruvaloo said...

hey bro, its good to hear from you :D

hmmm i don't know who/what Shaman King is > *opens up google and starts searching*

there, in a couple of minutes i will be a lot wiser

thanks man

9:05 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Sig F. Reid said...

shaman king is an anime.

way... kewl... toon...!

btw, after cleaning my closet and cleaning our storage room, i realized that i didn't own "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" book.

i realized that i know the book because i've seen it in the bookstore countlessly of times.

anyhoo, i bought the book earlier and finished reading it. way deep! thanks to you, i read and added another awesome book in my collection.

peace bro!

enjoy the weekend! :)

6:01 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger pruvaloo said...

I've been looking at some images of it from google, think I might try and find a dvd of it somewhere...got a friend at uni who is really into his anime, so maybe he could lend it me.

oh wow thats cool :D glad you enjoyed it! I tend to top up rerreading it about every year - seems to help me get stuff in perspective.

3:33 PM, March 11, 2006  
Blogger Sig F. Reid said...

hope you get the change to see the series, way kewl!

mind sharing ur thoughts on JLS? i mean ur fave line/s and all..

7:49 PM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Sig F. Reid said...

can't wait to read what you have to say...

enjoy ur day uni-bloke! :P

9:27 PM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home