Sunday, February 18, 2007

To MSc or not to MSc, that is the question.

Recently I've really been thinking about where I'm going (or more to the point, where I'm not going). I've been toying with the idea of going back to uni to study for my MSc and at the moment it's seeming particularly attractive.

Sure, my BSc hasn't really been a passport into the type of work I want to do, but it was never going to be that, and perhaps another year of study will help me focus myself. Seems the ideal time to study too really, I have no real commitments to get in the way: I don't have a mortgage, I don't have my own family, so I think now would be an ideal time.

I got a statement for one of my bank accounts the other day. I have enough in there already to pay for the MSc, with enough change to cover a year's worth of rent. Of course, I wouldn't have to rent, as I could pretty easily live at home and commute.

And I don't think education ever did anyone any harm right? On the otherhand, a year down the road I don't really want to be in the same situation I'm in now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Livin said...

No education didn't do anyone any harm.And all the reasons you've stated for doing it now are correct. I'd say go for it. It's always a good idea to study.

Tell me should I take up a job that is closer home, but pays me the same salary? It's a MNC, has a better reputation than my current company and I'll be the seniormost person there. I'm so confused.

8:22 AM, February 19, 2007  
Blogger pruvaloo said...

I guess if it's closer then you won't be spending as much time commuting, which I'd say is a good thing; although when I used to commute to uni I quite enjoyed those few hours of being by myself in the car. Gave me a lot of time to think.

It having a better reputation sounds like it would be a good change, although I guess it depends on i) how much you like your current job/company and ii) will taking this new job do any damage to your career. If it wouldn't do any damage I'd probably take the new job.

Worst case scenario: if it doesn't work out maybe the company you're with now would give you your old job back?

5:51 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Livin said...

:) thanks much for the analysis. I refused the offer. Am not going anywhere yet from my old company. I have a job that I would have enjoyed if I had the right people to work with. Anyway life is full of shit.

What's your decision?

6:30 AM, February 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home